Vol. 149, No. 23 — November 18, 2015
SOR/2015-232 November 5, 2015
Regulations Amending the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations
Whereas, pursuant to subsection 10(3) of the Broadcasting Act (see footnote a), a copy of the proposed Regulations Amending the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations, substantially in the annexed form, was published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, on May 23, 2015, and a reasonable opportunity was given to licensees and other interested persons to make representations to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission with respect to the proposed Regulations;
Therefore, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, pursuant to subsection 10(1) of the Broadcasting Act (see footnote b), makes the annexed Regulations Amending the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations.
Gatineau, November 4, 2015
Canadian Radio-television and
REGULATIONS AMENDING THE BROADCASTING DISTRIBUTION REGULATIONS
1. The heading before section 15.4 of the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations (see footnote 1) is replaced by the following:
CANCELLATION REQUESTED BY SUBSCRIBER
2. The Regulations are amended by adding the following after section 15.4:
CANCELLATION REQUESTED BY CUSTOMER
15.5 (1) A licensee shall accept a request that is made to it by a customer for the cancellation of all programming services that it provides to the customer.
(2) The cancellation shall occur on the day on which the request is received by the licensee.
(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to a cancellation request as defined in subsection 15.4(1) that is made by a customer who is also a member of a household that is provided with the programming services for which the request is made.
COMING INTO FORCE
3. These Regulations come into force on the day on which they are registered.
(This note is not part of the Regulations.)
The regulatory amendments implement the determination set out in Broadcasting and Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2014-576 to prohibit the use by broadcasting distribution undertakings of 30-day cancellation policies. Under these Regulations, a licensee must accept a customer’s request to cancel the customer’s subscription, and this cancellation must occur on the day on which the cancellation request is received by the licensee.